Care England, the largest representative body for independent providers of adult social care, has today launched its vision for adult social care, We Care For England.
Professor Martin Green OBE, Chief Executive of Care England, says:
“Successive governments have promised social care reform but have not delivered. We Care For England represents the foundation for a long-term and sustainable future for adult social care that will be to the benefit of all citizens and the economy. The vision calls on the Government to deliver a new system of support in which health and social care systems act in a coordinated fashion focused around the person and are financed adequately and appropriately.”
The vision is premised around five key themes, each of which presents a key ask of government:
- Sustainability – Care England agrees with the Commons Health and Social Care Select Committee’s call for ¬£7bn annual increase in social care funding as a starting point for reform.
- Meaningful life – Quality service provision must be enabled so that people in need live with comfort, dignity and choice.
- People – The sector requires a ten-year workforce plan, akin to that of the NHS, where career progression, pay and rewards are identified.
- Integration – Bridging the gap between health and social care stretches beyond funding integration, but also encompasses reforming commissioning practice, data and information practice and service delivery.
- Innovation and investment – Providers need certainty about funding to invest in wider community development. This investment must be for providers of both state-funded and privately financed care.
Martin Green continues:
“The sector is brimming with innovation, energy and commitment which Care England, with the help of its members, can harness. Care England has submitted this vision to the Prime Minister, along with other key policymakers. We are ready and waiting to help Government reach a definitive solution.”
The resources for the vision can be found here. Care England would strongly encourage all those involved in adult social care to bring light to these themes and asks with the hashtag #WeCareForEngland.
Notes to editors:
- Care England is the largest representative body for independent providers of adult social care.
- Care England’s new vision, We Care For England, represents the foundation for a long-term and sustainable future for adult social care that will be to the benefit of all citizens and the economy.
- For Care England press enquiries related to this release, please contact Antonella Corby (020) 7492 4843 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.careengland.org.uk
- @CareEngland @CareEngDigital #wecareforengland